Chanel Mat Lumière foundation review



Price: £33.00
Size: 30ml
Ingredients: Aqua, Isododecane, Titanium Dioxide, Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Talc, Methyl methacrylate, Stearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Phenoxyethanol, Silica, Alumina, Ethylene/ma copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methylparaben, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Propylparaben, Alcohol, PEG-8, Tocopherol, Aluminum hydroxide, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Cerotic acid, Ascorbic Acid, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Denatonium benzoate, Propylene copolymer

When I did my giveaway to help me decide on a new foundation for myself and a friend, I easily managed to pick one out for her but the one I had in mind for myself, didn't even appear on the list. I took my time contemplating some of them and even thought about going back to using some that were mentioned that I had previously used but after reading a few reviews whilst wearing another foundation in the meantime, I decided none of these would be right for me and so I gave in and bought the foundation I'd wanted to try for a while, despite it not appearing on the list. (Oh how I should've listened to you all) This foundation was indeed, Chanel Mat Lumière.

Firstly, I didn't get off to a good start with this foundation from the beginning. The girl on the counter gave me the wrong shade entirely. When purchasing a foundation, I know that I will usually need the lightest shade or the next one up from that at the most. The girl decided I needed one 5 shades too dark, usually I would've known this was wrong but it did seem to look ok in the shop lighting and she appeared to look a similar shade to me. However, I wasn't too happy that she decided to match me by swatching it on her own hand and holding it up towards my face. She didn't even apply it on my own skin at all but I didn't have all day and since she looked a similar shade to me, I went away with that one. She also gave me a powder to try out which she said she knew was too dark for me but at least I could see how well it worked - not really, since I would like to wear it out and about to see how well it lasted!

So, the next morning came and I started to apply my foundation and I also started to panic. It clearly wasn't the right shade (I looked like the latest member of The Simpsons). I thought perhaps I'd wait a bit and see if it got any better as it settled into my skin more. It did a tiny bit but still, it looked pretty bad and it was obviously the wrong shade entirely. I didn't care if I'd opened it and used it, I was getting a new shade or getting my money back since she was clearly in the wrong. I headed back to the shop half expecting them to refuse an exchange or refund since I had opened it and used it but thankfully the manager was there as well as the girl who had given me the wrong shade. Luckily the manager could clearly see I had been given the wrong shade entirely and I managed to get a lighter shade (05 Faience) so off I went to test it out properly.

Now, I was really excited to try this foundation. I get extremely oily around my nose area and Chanel say this foundation is "Perfect for combination skin with a tendency to shine, this oil-free formula delivers a soft, natural matte finish with maximum staying power. Medium coverage looks impeccable and shine-free for up to 12 hours." Sounds great, right?

This foundation has a rather runny and sheer formula that's easy to blend and creates a lovely even finish but this flawless finish doesn't even last an hour on my skin. No matter what powder I use (I've even tried powder foundation over the top) it just doesn't want to stay on my skin. I do get oily around my t-zone but the rest of my face can often get pretty dry, which is where this foundation seemed to work well. Although it's meant to be a mat foundation, it is very moisturising, which I feel would be great for dry skin and it's also very buildable.

In all honestly, the only great thing I can say about this foundation is the fact it has SPF in but to me, that's not a key factor as I always where SPF on my face anyway.

Once I buy a foundation, I stick to using it until it's finished, even if I'm not all that keen on it. I think I somehow expect to find a way for it to work for me but unfortunately, this didn't. I've now finished it and I can definitely say, I will not be purchasing this foundation again, ever. I can see that it's a good high quality foundation but for me, it doesn't do what it claims to. For those with drier skin, I can see how it may well be worth the money but I've now been put off Chanel foundations entirely and shall now continue on my search for the perfect foundation.



Personal blog

5 comments:

  1. Don't put down the Chanel just yet!! I was with you, I tried Mat Lumiere first (got the idea from Pixiwoo) and I was not quite keen on it. But after watching video after video after video of them (and others) using Chanel's Vita Lumiere Aqua I've got to say that it's the PERFECT foundation.

    I have t-zone oil and normal/dry cheeks and putting this foundation on my face is like putting on silk and moisture all at once. It goes on the best of any foundation I've ever felt -- it absolutely doesn't feel like you're wearing ANYthing on your face and the best part? It's got med. coverage. Give it a try, I promise you will not be disappointed! (tip: you need to shake the bottle extremely well before using :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit, I'd been put off trying it after my experience with the Mat Lumiere but you make it sound pretty great and from what I've seen from others, it looks great, too. I think I shall have to try get a tester, would be great if it really is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this informative review! You have a wonderful blog, I will difintily be checking back to read more of your posts. Good luck with the blog, although I am sure you do not need it!

    All the best,
    Voe.
    ________________________________________
    http://lipstick-and-pearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wanna try this too..im using lancome maqui which seems to promote the same lines as chanel, being great for oily skintype and matte long lasting..but it totally does not matte my face after 3 hrs sheesh

    xoxo elle

    ReplyDelete

 

www.3ate4.com